Tuesday, February 26, 2008

why am i starting to blog now?

I should've started a blog like this a long time ago. Well, better late than never.

I'm posting some blog-esque stuff I wrote at the beginning of my work...

This site will be used to keep my advisor updated on my progress, as well as provide a medium for discussion, about my thesis.

Idea: I want to make a sports database that is as intuitive, pretty, and useful as imdb.com. I think there is a way to organize the enormous amount and variety of data that gives users the ability to find exactly what they want. Stay tuned...

==================================

Major classes:

Sport: Basketball, Tennis, Track and Field, etc.

League(Tournament): NBA, Wimbledon, US Open, etc.

League -> Team, or League -> Specific League (by year)

Team -> Specific Team (by year), or Specific League -> Specific Team (year)

Specific Team -> Roster -> Players

Specific Team -> Events (Games)

**Note** The events class will hold data for every athlete for that event. These are essentially game by game stats, box scores. This scheme allows you to find all necessary accumulated statistics, while not replicating any data.

Events -> Players

It may make more sense to have slightly different versions of schemes based on different types of sports. For example, how would one apply the scheme of league and team to Tennis or Track and Field? Then again, is it necessary to? What information would I be able to gain if there was a unity of schema between basketball and tennis? It wouldn't make sense to compare anything between these two sports.

No comments: